Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Housework, more physical therapy, rain and sleet

_MG_0497

I'm so completely confused the past week.  I keep having to check the calendar because my days are all switched around.

We had a long weekend, as you all know, so Monday felt like Sunday to me, then yesterday it was back to normal school and work, and today due to the Winter Storm there was no work for my husband so it was back to feeling like it was the weekend.

Goodness!!!

_MG_0471

Yesterday we had a full day of rain, it started early morning and just came down, unrelenting, making driving a bit of a pain in the behind.  I always drive slower in the rain or snow, but my car has like no traction whatsoever and easily slides, so even though it had been raining all day, I still ended up hydroplaning between base and home.



I wasn't the only one, the truck behind me was all over the road as well.  Craziness!!!

I had another Physical Therapy appointment yesterday afternoon and it went pretty well, I'm able to do a lot more of the exercises that I wasn't able to before, but there are still a few that hurt.

I have another appointment tomorrow and then Friday morning my Doctor follow up where we will see how I'm doing, and where to go from here.  Either more therapy or I honestly don't know.

_MG_0397

In between all these appointments, I've been rediscovering my love for homemaking.

I've talked many times about how I lost a part of me when I moved to Texas, and actually if I want to be completely honest, I will have to say that it started after my husband retired and we moved from Arizona to Idaho.

I don't know what happened, or why, but suddenly everything shifted and changed within me, and I was no longer doing what I loved.  I've tried to dig deep and find out what exactly caused this, and the only explanation I can come up with, is that I was used to a very set routine while we were an Active Duty family, and the minute that changed, with everything going on, I fell off the wagon and have been stumbling to get back one.

_MG_0402

I never stopped homemaking, but I stopped enjoying it as much as I did, and most of all, I stopped making it a priority.

For example, baking and cooking.  Something I love doing, and before I would think "oh I would love to make so and so" and then got right in the kitchen and made it.

The past few years, I will think that I want to make something but then never did.  I just thought it was too much effort, or it will take too much time, so I didn't.


_MG_0408

I'm back at it though, which makes my family extremely happy, and me as well.  The past few days I've been in the kitchen whipping up yummy treats, taking pictures, updating the food blog and really loving every second of it.  I'm back in my element :)


I woke up craving these cookies.  They take me back to my childhood, probably like no other food does.  My greatgrandma used to make these for us.  What I love about them is that they're not very sweet at all, and they're quite perfect to enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.  The recipe is up on the blog if you want to try them for yourself.

I also made two batches of Portuguese rolls which are always enjoyed in my house.  One batch was for me and the other for my brother and his family.


Today I tried the Sheet Pan Crunchwrap, and it was a huge hit.  I'm thinking they would be great for a get together as well.  I will have the recipe up tomorrow.


This morning, we woke up to a winter wonderland.  My husband had gotten a call last night telling him that they would be coming into work 2 hours later because of the weather, but by 7am everyone was told not to come in.

Schools in the area were closed and the sleet started coming down.  We had run to the store to pick up some last minute essentials and by the time we left, it started really coming down, leaving a white sheet all over the roads and roofs of homes and businesses.

Within 10 minutes, the roads were already slick and it just kept coming down.

_MG_0505

The temperatures plummeted and the roads looked deserted.  It is extremely slick out there and the sleet is still coming down.

The schools have been cancelled for tomorrow as well, but as of now, we're not sure if hubby is working or not.  If it's still looking like this, I will be cancelling my appointment as there's no way I'll attempt to drive to base in these conditions.

_MG_0504

_MG_0500

We snacked on some yummy tortilla chips and salsa, I made the Sheet Pan Crunchwraps which we had for lunch and dinner (they were that good), and we also snuggled under warm blankets and watched Blue Planet.  By the way, if you don't watch, you have to give it a try.

Every week we record and then watch together as a family.  It is so incredibly beautifully filmed, informative, interesting and makes for a great family show.

While doing all this, I've also been throwing myself back into my crochet.  In an effort to both work through my yarn stash and try to get ready for Spring, I've been cranking out a couple of Doilies.

_MG_0488

_MG_0479

_MG_0512

I also watched Madame Bovary on Netflix and went through and added quite a few shows to my watch list.

Something else I've been loving lately, is reading again.  I used to have such a huge love for books, and I still do, but the past few years, reading has been more of a chore, something I do for my book reviews and not something I was enjoying.

That is until a few weeks ago, where I suddenly got the reading bug again and now I'm devouring my books and really enjoying it.

Speaking of which, I have a review coming up tomorrow for a wonderful book that I think you will enjoy.

Well, it's almost 8pm, so I'm going to end this post, and go read through my Devotionals, do my prayers and then read a little more before bedtime.

Have a wonderful night everyone :)

5 comments:

Simply Quaint said...

What a nice surprise to see another post :). I as well have fallen off of the homemaking wagon and need to pick myself back up.....as well as reading, I love love love to read but find when I do I don’t do other things that I enjoy or need to do, so I just need to prioritize, I miss it as well...all of your goodies look delish I will definitely give the sheetpan crunch wrap a try....thank you for sharing.....lovely photos and crocheting.....welcome back.....Blessings Rhonda

Sarah said...

So glad to hear that the physical therapy is helping. I am waiting for an appointment for my neck, I am convinced I must sleep funny. I wake up with numb hands and pain in my shoulders. LOL

Your photos are just beautiful. It's lovely to hear that your homemaking mojo is back. As you probably guessed from Facebook, cooking is not my forte (though I do try). I really enjoy looking at other's baking/cooking creations with awe and with my mouth watering (especially yours). Hugs

Pamela said...

You're not alone with your feelings about life post-retirement. I have heard from many friends that it is a real adjustment for both the active duty servicemember and their spouse. I think you summed it up, active duty life is a very set routine and when you don't have that anymore, you're in unfamiliar territory.

Jean said...

Those cookies look so good! We have the ice here as well, my boys haven't been to school since last Friday. They were off Monday & then, Tuesday for a teacher work day, yesterday, and now today because of icy roads. We're not even sure what day it is around here anymore, ha! We'll definitely check out Blue Planet as I imagine my youngest would love it. Hope you have a warm and cozy day!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

It's raining here today too. I hope it gets it out of the system before planting season. I tried reading the other day, and either the book is just not interesting, or I don't have the urge to read right now.