Wednesday, May 02, 2018

{ Using what you have on hand - Earrings to Stitch Markers }

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know I'm all about using what you already have on hand, or making do with what is around.

It's easier to quickly hit some buttons and order online, or run to the store and get it.

Convenience, that's what it all boils down to.

I used to be all about convenience and saving some time, but a few years into my marriage, I realized that in the end, it's easier and cheaper to take a few moments and either make it myself from scratch, or reuse what I already have around.

There are so many items that are multi purpose, all you need is a little imagination and time.

Make it do, or do without....have you ever heard that quote?  It was actually very popular in the 1930's in New England, around the Great Depression Era.



A pretty simple quote to remember and apply to our lives.  I've grown used to thinking before I buy anything and really deciding whether it's something I need and can't live without, or if it's more of a want and would like to have.  You'd be surprised how many times it's in the Want Category.


_MG_1507

So, with that in mind, let me tell you about my latest Making Do.

I've been crocheting now for how long?  Years?  And would you believe me if I told you that I have never bought stitch markers?

It may sound completely insane, and it's not to say that I haven't seen stitch markers that I loved or would have really like to have.  Truth be told, stitch markers are a must if you are a crocheter, or knitter.

But I've held off because, it's not something I couldn't do without.  I've been known to use bobby pins or pieces of yarn to act as stitch markers, just whatever was on hand and did the job.

As I was cleaning my bathroom out, organizing and going through the shelves and drawers,  I came across all my little jewelry boxes filled with old earrings.  Some have gone a bit rusty, others are missing backs, some are missing the other half and so on.

I was just about to throw them away when a light bulb went off.  Why had I not thought of that before???

_MG_1512

They're pretty but I don't really want to wear them as earrings any longer, so they're the perfect stitch markers, don't you think?

I removed the little plastic backing from the ones that still had it and threw that out.

_MG_1509

These were some of my Halloween ones.  I don't know why I bought them because I've never worn them but they look absolutely adorable on my current crochet work.

_MG_1510

Because they're earrings, they are super easy to bend, so once I slip them into the stitch, I just squeeze the top shut so it won't slip out and when it's time to move it, I easily pull them open. 

Honestly, give it a try, if you have old earrings that you are no longer going to use and need some cute stitch markers, use them and see what you think.

_MG_1513

I for one am very happy with my new found use for these old earrings, and now I'm keeping an eye out for old, cheap earrings that I can use for my crochet and knitting.

I hope this gave you some ideas and maybe inspired you to look beyond the original purpose of the items you have all around your house.  Next time you need something, try to find it around your home first before making the trip to the store :)

Do you use what you  already have on hand? 

What was your best use of an item for something completely unrelated?

Would love to hear your ideas!!!

2 comments:

Marcy said...

What an ingenious idea! I don't wear earrings and don't crochet much, but I'm sure someone will find this hint very useful!

Simply Quaint said...

My quote as well, we make do and I am a frugal person as well, thrift store shopping.....garage sales ....goodwill....but to use things around the house we have is my motto as well....what a awesome idea for markers on your crocheting......I would of never of thought....and they are pretty....